Last month we announced our plans to move out of our in-home studio and into a larger space in downtown Swanton, Ohio. The former Pilliod Opera House, built in 1897, will be home to our new storefront and photography studio. The Opera House hosted a variety of activities in the early 1900s, such as piano recitals, social balls, duck-pin bowling, and basketball games (there's still a full court upstairs!). This building has also housed several businesses throughout the years, including a bank, A&P grocery store, and hardware store.
Here's what it looks like today. The windows and doorways have been boarded up for decades. We found the original 8 foot windows, and plan to reinstall them in the future to finally let in the natural light that the building has craved for so long. We want to restore as much of the building's original character as we can, so we've got a lot of renovation ahead of us.
We ripped out layers of flooring to expose the original wood floors, and removed the drop ceiling in the front room that was hiding a grand 14 foot high tin ceiling.
Our next steps include updating some of the electrical, painting the ceilings, and sanding the floors. Hopefully the next update will be much prettier!